Wednesday, February 21, 2024

7th Anniversary

Today marks 7 years since my total gastrectomy. I haven't posted in a year and for the last few years, I've only posted once or twice a year. What that mainly means is that I'm doing great, living a normal life, so much better than I ever envisioned with this life without a stomach.

It's been since my 3rd annniversary since I talked about weight. For people that are contemplating this surgery or recently had a TG, there are always questions around weight: How much did you lose? When did you stablize? Did you gain weight back? etc. etc. As with everything, each person is different, but I thought it might help to summarize the weight changes here and give an update of what has happened over the last four years.

As I've shared before, I went into surgery overweight at 243, so weight loss for me was a fringe benefit of the surgery. I dropped to 230 basically immediately after surgery and continued to lose weight pretty rapidly for 9 months. In November, I started to stablize around 170, but then in December and Janaury started to lose again. Mid-late January (getting close to a year after surgery), I stabilized again around 161-164. After a few months at that weight, I dropped down under 160 pounds in late April (2018 - 14 months after TG). I stayed around 155-157 for about a year from July 2018 to August 2019 when I started gaining.

I was very happy with my weight in the 150s and 160s. When I first started gaining (just over 2 1/2 years after surgery) and went back to the 160s in October 2019, I was OK with that, but unfortunately, I kept gaining. In March 2021, I crossed over into the 170s which I was less OK with, but OK, then a year ago, in February 2023, I crossed into the 180s which is where I am now. It's still better than where I was before the surgery, but I would be happier at 10-20 pounds less than the 185 I am now. The probem is, I've never been good at losing weight (except by having at TG). My even bigger concern is continuing to gain weight. I really don't want to do that.

It's amazing that you can gain weight and be overweight without a stomach. Now to see if I can figure out a way and actually have the drive to lose weight so I don't end up a place I don't really want to be. If I don't lose, I will be OK with that, but if I cross over 190 or worse yet, over 200, I will not be OK with that. I need to reverse this trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment