Saturday, January 13, 2018

Almost 1 year follow-up

When I saw Dr. Mansfield in June, he wanted to see me again in 6 months, which would have been December, but December is too busy so I scheduled the appointment for January.  That means it is just shy of one year since my total gastrectomy on February 21, 2017. 

As I said in an earlier post, I was a little concerned that I would get yelled out for losing too much weight as he had stressed needing to have the weight stabilize when I saw him in June and it didn't start to until November and then I started losing again (although at a slower rate) in December.

But that wasn't the case at all.  The nurse actually commented about how much I had lost since my June appointment, but that I looked really good and that it appeared to be a healthy weight loss.  Dr. Manfield's assistant reviewed all of the blood work and everything basically looked good.  The only one that was a little low was the prealbumin protein (I think) which is better than it was in June, but still a little low, but not of major concern.  B-12 levels and everything else were good.  The only other thing she mentioned was so insignificant that she wasn't going to mention it, but of course, she mentioned it telling us she wasn't going to mention it and that was hydration.

When the assistant looked at my incision, I made some comment about how pleased I am with how the scar looks and she agreed and said it was one of the best she has seen.  I don't think I can take credit for that, but I like it.

When Dr, Mansfield came in, he didn't even look at the lab results like he normally does.  He too was happy with where I am weight wise and said that as long as it has slowed down and I don't lose it too fast, if I lose another 15 pounds or so (over several months), that would be OK.  It was nice to hear that we are on the same page which I didn't necessarily feel in June.  I'm not looking to lose another 15 pounds, I'm very happy with where I currently am. but if it happens, it would be OK.

The report was good enough that he doesn't want to see me for another year.  So I'm good with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment