Sunday, February 5, 2017

Telling the World

This is what I posted on Facebook this morning:


Two weeks from today I embark on the scariest journey of my life. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2015, I had genetic testing done. I tested positive for a very rare gene mutation, CDH1. While it is affiliated with breast cancer, it has an extremely high correlation with Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer, cancer that forms in the lining of your stomach and is undetectable until stage 4 or 5 and it is too late. The only recommended course of treatment is to have a Prophylactic Total Gastrectomy, ie have your stomach removed as a preventive measure. After much research and agonizing, I have decided to have this surgery completed at MD Anderson in Houston on February 21. I appreciate your prayers for a smooth surgery, uneventful and swift recovery and for a lifetime of learning to live a normal life without a stomach, it can and has been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment